Labels

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

LGBTQ: Why You Maybe SHOULD Ask If Someone Is Gay Or Trans

This article on Everyday Feminism makes the excellent point that the onus should not be on queer people to disclose and fight for themselves, but on straight people to "invite them in" to society and their lives. But what is "inviting in," in concrete, practical terms? The author gives no such suggestions. How am I supposed to figure out exactly what to do, much less some straight person whose hobbies don't include reading about queer studies?

I disagree with the author on some things. I don't think it's always taboo to mention to someone that you suspect they are gay and love them no matter what. My mom asked me if I thought I was gay, while telling me she loved me no matter what, before I was "ready" to come out even to her, even with how close we are. And I figured that it would be easier to tell her now, than bring it up later. So I did. I said, "Okay. I think I like boys and girls."
"Okay," she said, then gave me an extra-long hug that night when I went to bed.
She helped me out, on two levels. And I wouldn't be where I'm at, with accepting myself (and buying the queer books I want to read, in front of her--which also helps me accept myself), if she hadn't.
Her asking made things easier for me. So depending on the person, relationship to you, and circumstances, asking might actually help, not hurt. My mom wasn't a stranger, and we had a very close relationship already. I knew she would still love me, even if I felt scared that telling her would be weird. And she didn't ask in front of anyone else.
But if you are going to do this, be sure to do it while expressing a lot of love.
(Another way to "invite them in" is to mention that you are an ally or you yourself are queer. One friend, defensive about why I tagged him in an inspirational post made by a gay Facebook page--I hadn't even thought about where it came from--admitted, "Actually, I think I might be bisexual too. But don't tell anyone!" when I mentioned my own bisexuality. But don't worry, it happened years ago, no one reading this blog could identify him, and I won't tell you his name.)

So depending on the situation, asking might actually help "invite them in." I am assuming that the author meant "inviting them in" to mean, in part, making it easier to be themselves, and express who they are if they wish. Unfortunately, there is no comment section on Everyday Feminism, that I saw. So I can't ask.
So instead of waiting for someone to come out of the closet, if you have a good relationship with them already, maybe knock on the door and ask, "Are you in there? You know it's safe to come out?" And invite them into the room with you. And if they don't come out yet, or aren't in there at all, that's okay too. Make sure they know that you'll be there for them no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment