Labels

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Minimalism/Preppers: Don't Throw Everything Away Yet!

I don't like "capsule wardrobes" for a lot of reasons, and one reason I didn't mention was this: That capsule wardrobes, in which you have only a certain number of items (usually thirty or less, total), are based on the idea that you or the economy will never fall on hard times.
I have seen and read so many people, from extreme minimalists who live out of backpacks, to mothers with two or more young children, say something to the effect of, "If I need something else/if something wears out/if I need that item again, I can just go buy something else."
And this does betray a certain level of privilege, that they have the money to do that, and expect to continue to have enough, for the rest of their lives. But it also says something else: That they expect that the economy, and their own circumstances, will always stay pretty much the same. They are woefully unprepared for any sudden hard times to befall them.

Capsule wardrobes are great, in that they eliminate the burden of choosing something every day, if your clothes are all the same or matching colors, or if you have few enough of them that the choice is no burden. But can your capsule wardrobe last more than one season, if it has to? Do you have enough for next year? Are your clothes going to wear out before then? Even worse, do you plan for your clothes to wear out before then? Are you thinking, "I'll go buy something else when this wears out"?
I don't wish to shame anyone, just make people think, and prepare themselves. If you are saving money in order to purchase new clothes, when your current ones wear out, how do you know that there won't be terrible inflation that you have to deal with then? What if your money is worth less, or you have to save your precious cash for a house payment or medical bills?
Do you expect your one or two jackets to last not only all this winter, but all the next? Are you thinking of simply buying a heavy coat, if you have to? Are you going to purchase something next year, for next year's summer?
One never knows what will happen, or what could happen to their money.

I love getting rid of stuff. I literally go through part of my things every day--my clothes one day, my fabric the next, books the next, etc. It is my favorite hobby, and one of the most relaxing things I could ever do for myself. It is the best time of my day.
But gaining all that extra room, enables me to use it to give myself a sense of security--by stocking up on food, pet food, and other necessities. Even these I go through and purge, to make sure that I will actually eat them, but I plan to buy more of the foods I know my animals and I will eat. I hope to have at least a three-month supply, and eventually a six-month supply. (Though I also like just having the extra room in my room, but where and how to store this food is another issue entirely.)
But food is not the only thing to save for hard times. Even though you can make do with clothes a lot easier than you can make do with food, sometimes you can't make do with clothes. Especially in the winter.
If the once-in-a-few-years storm comes, and you have no heavy jacket or wool clothing, you might or might not be able to buy one. Perhaps it was a sudden storm, and they are sold out. Perhaps the economy is different, and the money you worked so hard to save up is almost worthless. Perhaps you have had to use all of that money for medical bills. Perhaps the roads are impassable, and you can't get to a store or a place where you can buy one.
There will always be an abundance of clothes in America and western countries--there already is, even after all that is donated and shipped overseas--and it's ridiculous. But you may not have enough money to buy the right kind of clothes, clothes that you actually need and not just want--or certain clothes items may be scarce, like stockings were during World War Two.
If you are too much of a minimalist now, and either you or the whole country goes through rough times, you may be stuck wearing a chicken feed sack, as your ancestors before you in the Depression--only nowadays, chicken feed comes in plastic, not cloth. It makes for great tarps, if it's thick enough and you have thick duct tape--but it would make for terribly uncomfortable, and cold, clothing. (At least against your skin. You need anything but an uninsulated raincoat or umbrella, and you're shit out of luck.)

I am not saying not to have a capsule wardrobe, or a small wardrobe. But while you're getting rid of stuff, or thinking about not buying any more clothes, also think about having enough to last at least two full years from this date. One year from this date is cutting it close, especially if your clothes wear out sooner than you thought they would. And three or more years would be too much stuff for some people--maybe even for me, too, in some areas (though I love my jackets).
 Do you have enough socks and underwear for this year and all of the next? What about warm accessories in the winter--hats, gloves, scarves if you need them? You can cut off pants to make shorts in the summer, but if you already have shorts, you can save those pants for the winter. Will those flip-flops last all summer? What about your winter boots? Are enough of your shirts light enough for the summer? Do you have both warm and cool socks? What about tights and long underwear, things to keep you warm? What about pajamas, and the clothes you feed your goats in? Do you have enough t-shirts, sweats, boots, and sweatshirts that you are okay with getting muddy?
I would recommend having at least two or three heavy jackets, if you don't live somewhere like Florida (maybe you should even have one in Florida, with all of the tropical storms down there). And two or three lighter jackets. I love having a variety of jackets, but if you don't, at least make sure you have enough to be prepared, if something happens and you can't get another. Likewise with boots, hats, gloves, warm socks, etc, for the winter--twice as much as you would wear in one season.
The summer is not as urgent, but it is important too. You can swim in anything, and so don't need two or more swimsuits, but many summer items are cheap and easily wear out. If you modify your winter clothes for the summer, you may still be much too hot--and you would then go into your winter supplies.
If you have kids, do you have clothes that are a size or two too big for them? I know it's exhausting to keep up with their growth--but if you must, you can keep a sewing machine, and (in case of loss of power) needles and plenty of thread, to modify grownup clothes. Not the best solution, but it's better than not having clothes for them. Just be sure to have extra grownup clothes for yourself and perhaps your spouse.

You don't have to store all of these clothes in your dresser or where you normally dress. A large box or two in the attic or under your bed should be big enough to store a change of winter clothes and a change of summer clothes, extra goat-feeding clothes, shoes, and a year's supply of extra socks (heavy and light), underwear, and stockings or anything else that wears out easily and quickly. One or two boxes for every person in your house is enough.
It will also be convenient, because you don't have to rush to the store to buy something when it wears out. Just remember to replenish your supply.

I'm not sure how minimalist travelers who live out of backpacks or cars would do this, but they would be shit out of luck anyway, if food was suddenly scarce and they couldn't get back to their homes or heated mini storage units, or if these places were looted or squatted in. If you have relatives or friends who keep things for you, you may not be able to get to them, especially if you don't have a car (or if gas is rationed, or a lot of cars are migrating to better places because of hard times). The mail may not be able to get through, either, even if you are close to the post office.
I don't know what to say. You traded security for freedom and spontaneity already. To some people, and at some points in people's lives, this is what is important to them. In an apocalypse, you would be moochers. Try to have some sort of useful skill you can trade for food. If it's not needed, though, you might still wind up a moocher or a thief. I'm not saying you should start honing the skill of shoplifting to prepare for the apocalypse, but, well...it might help...

I'm also not saying that you should keep anything that is uncomfortable, itchy, doesn't fit, or that you otherwise hate or don't love. You can even buy duplicates of the same items, if you want.
And I'm not saying that you should keep "just in case" items like cocktail dresses or other things that aren't needs. (You can probably borrow one from someone else, if you must. I must note that I do have a few beautiful evening dresses, but that's because I love them--I know they're not a need.)
Though professional wear might be helpful to keep, if you already have it--you might be laid off, if the economy goes bad again. I'm not sure I would spend a lot of money on something like that, that I may not need, though. If I need it, I will borrow from my mother, or if she gets rid of it all, I'll take her castoffs.
Get rid of all that clutter. You'll be so much happier. Just be sure to save a few comfortable, well-fitting items for rough times. It doesn't even have to be that much. And if you buy a jacket or something that you love more, you can get rid of your "extra" one, provided it's the same type of clothing or jacket. Your current jacket then becomes your extra one, if you want to wear the new one now. (And why would you buy something, that you don't want to wear right away?) 
You can have a pretty minimal wardrobe, and still have enough to last through rough times. It's all a matter of balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment