Labels

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Minimalism: Create A "Mess Box"

This article first appeared on my old blog, Atheist Journeys. It's a favorite of mine.

I like to watch minimalism videos on Youtube, including ones where people are cleaning out their rooms and closets for the camera. I've seen them lament that their countertops or dressers have become a "catch-all" for all kinds of things that are out of place. But that puzzles me, because I think that catch-alls should be built into any system of organization.
I have a "mess box" that I put the mess in, temporarily, so that it doesn't clutter up my dresser and floor. I keep it under my bed. Anything that is out of place, that I just bought and need to put away but am too tired to do so, or that I find on the floor, goes in the box. If I did not have a mess box, then the mess would be out in my bedroom, cluttering it up and cluttering up my mind. I have a designated catch-all, so my dresser and floor don't become accidental catch-alls and let things get in my way.

I have at least two mess boxes, in fact, at any given time. I have one for bigger things--comic books to put away, things that I've purchased that day, papers, craft supplies out of place, etc--and one for smaller things. The smaller one is only about the size of a small shoebox, and all of the little things go in there--gum, mustard packets, beads that need to get put away, lip balm, odd bits of ribbon, etc. I fill up the little one before using the big one, unless the item is too big.
In this way, the mess is contained, and I keep my clarity of mind. I like to go through my stuff, so when I have the time, I go back through one of the mess boxes, putting things in the appropriate piles and putting them away.
 If my bedroom is so messy that I don't know where to start, I put everything in the mess boxes (as many as I need), and then go through the boxes. It is much less overwhelming to go through a box of stuff than to go through the top of a dresser. Everything unnecessary on the dresser goes into a box, and I deal with it then. And it's not overwhelming anymore! It's such a relief!
Anything I have to deal with later, goes in the box. Anything I stumble around, goes in the box. Anything that is hard to put away at the moment, goes in the box. It makes everything so simple! There is a danger that the boxes will fill up, but when they do (and most of the time, well before they do), I simply go through the boxes.
Sometimes I go through the big mess box, and put the little things into the little mess box, to deal with later. It helps to deal with the big things, if you're not overwhelmed with the little things, and vice versa! Little things are particularly overwhelming to me, so I especially love the little mess box. But the big things are also so much easier to deal with, if they're all gathered in a box.

I have many different kinds of mess boxes too. I have one for art supplies--pencils, charcoal, paper pads I'm not using, anything like that goes into that box; I don't have room to put all of my art supplies in one place, so they go here before being put away. I have one for herbs and teas, one for non-perishable food, one for yarn and other crafts. A drawer in my dresser is a catch-all for clean clothes that I could wear again, until I put them away into the other drawers. And of course I have a hamper for my dirty clothes, until I put them in the laundry room. I also have an arts and crafts mess box, near my chair where I work, so that I don't scatter little things around my side table and floor.

My life has become so much neater and simpler since I discovered this trick. It is so much easier to put everything into a box, even if I am putting it away right away. I scan the floor or dresser, figure out the things that don't need to be there, and put them in the box. Then it becomes easier to deal with them, because I know when I'm done cleaning and organizing and putting things away. I am done when the box is empty (or nearly so, though it is only a temporary home for stuff). It's much harder to determine when a dresser or the floor is clear, however.
This also makes it easier to group like items together, before putting them away. If there is an eraser on the dresser, and one on the floor, you have to get out the art-supply box twice just to put them both away while cleaning. But if everything out of place is in a box, then all you have to do is go through the box, picking out all of the brushes, erasers, charcoal sticks, and other art supplies, and putting them away all at once. And this is just one example.

This makes getting rid of stuff easier, too, since you are going through just one box, and not a whole room at once.

This also makes finding things so much easier! I know that if I'm missing something, there is a good chance that it is in one of the mess boxes, since I put everything in there. The only things that lie scattered about my floor are cat toys, and I try to limit those to the ones I actually see the cats playing with.

Now, this mess box is not the same as the box where everything goes, that does not have a home elsewhere.
Things may go from the mess box to the miscellaneous box, to be put away, but I don't put the messes in the miscellaneous box. That just creates more confusion. Little things might be put in baggies and go in the miscellaneous box or some other place, but I don't leave them in the mess box as their home. That just creates more confusion.
The mess box is a temporary home. It is a box that, if everything is put away, it is intentionally left empty, to be filled in case of mess or if something else comes into the house.
And I have at least two "empty" boxes at all times, a big one and a smaller one, because nothing makes a big box seem messy and overwhelming like little things cluttering it up. And some things are too big to be put in the smaller box, and so end up becoming messes in my room and my life.

It is such a relief, since I discovered this system. When my bedroom is messy, I feel overwhelmed. But now I have a simple solution, and even going through the boxes is much easier than sorting through a whole surface, floor, or room. I can go through either mess box, while watching Youtube videos and relaxing, and I don't even have to get up to sort through these things! I do have to get up to put them away, but I only do that when I've found all of the items in a given category. And when I do put them away, I know exactly where they go, and I'm not wandering aimlessly looking for something among the things that are actually supposed to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment